Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Friday, April 11, 2003

The fog of victory



Warning: this post is likely to add significantly to your sense of disillusionment.



Did you, like me, feel some joy when we watched that statue come down? No matter how stupid the war is, the bootheel was lifted at last... look how happy those people are.



The event was staged for the benefit of the media.



The entire thing took place in a square across the street from the Palestine Hotel, where the foreign media is hosted. The square was closed off by American armour. The hundred-odd would-be statue-destroyers were ex-pats, flown into Iraq by the Pentagon.



I suppose the good news is that the first of these images went up inside of twenty-four hours. How long was the bombing of Cambodia thirty-odd years ago "secret"? Lies told by the American government have no legs now.



No, wait... they do. I don't understand that at all, when the truth is so readily available.



Stories and links came to my attention via my old favourites, Tom and August.

No comments: