Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Good news



I am happy that the war against Saddam Hussein and his administration seems to be overwhelmingly over (notwithstanding what the US administration says - when Iraq's UN ambassador stops talking up Iraq's war successes, it's probably done). I am hopeful that we are not likely to see many more civilian deaths as a result of this war, unless the Americans find themselves trying to impose change in Iraq by force. The nice thing about liberty is that the Iraqi people get to choose their own future, not have one imposed by a foreign power. It will be interesting to see if the Americans see it the same way.



But don't let American/British war victory cow you into silence about our criticisms of the war. I just heard Rumsfeld refer once again to the fantasy Scud missiles. Victory for the Americans will not end the spin. As long as we still call a lie a lie, as long as we still identify spin as spin, the pressure will remain to prove us wrong by truly liberating the country. Once our gaze shifts away, Iraq becomes Afghanistan, but with more money for Halliburton.



I've been blogging slow this week as I've rededicated myself to my job hunt, and that will continue for a few more days. I'm going to take some time to properly link up my references in this post later today, but I don't want to wait to post this. Now is the time.

No comments: