Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Now for some provincial dog-wagging



Why is Klein talking up this "firewall" idea? Is it just me, or does this sound suspiciously like sovereignty-association? Myself, I don't think the Alberta government should be threatening to declare de facto independence by fiat. By the way, the idea originally came from Canadian Alliance leader Stephen Harper, so if it has any bounce in the Tory caucus, well, hey, you know exactly who to thank for dismantling confederation.



However, I don't think we should worry about it too hard. What we should really worry about is what he's distracting us from when he's talking about it. Every time we hear talk about independence, about firewalls, or about evil Ottawa, it always seems to be at the same time as legislation reducing the protection of workers, or their right to strike, or an elimination of elected positions from the RHAs, or some other inconvenient or unpleasant piece of legislation.



I know I'm publishing this post without serious links, but I will spend some time with this topic, and give you as much detail as I can find over the next several days and weeks. I'm concerned by the lack of documentation of this pattern.

No comments: