Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Monday, April 21, 2003

Time to catch up



I took the weekend off from here, and from my various game sites. Naturally, I'm way behind on everything now. Today's all about getting caught up.



Here's the highest priority for the blog - something I should have linked last week. The Mustard Seed is in some financial trouble, as the provincial government declares poverty and backs out of its committments. This is pathetic, in the richest jurisdiction on the continent. More details are here.



Update: Mike thinks the reason for the closing of the shelter are more complex and less problematic than I'm making out, and he may be right. I'm happy to admit that I'm immediately suspicious of anything touched by this provincial government.



The Sunalta project was intended only as a stop gap measure in order to provide additional housing to get people through the winter. It was never intended to become a permanant shelter, only a temporary measure in response to what was seen as a emergency situation.



Therefore " the provincial government declares poverty and backs out of its committments. This is pathetic " is rather unfair. Unless you want them to be more reluctant to take on such projects in the future.



Several new low income housing projects are nearly completion with the help of city, provincial, and federal funding. I haven't gone looking for numbers, but I remember reading 2600 or so units between Calgary and Edmonton. The city and province also just announced another 400 unit project is to begin construction. I heard them discussing this on QR77.



Now shouldn't our government be looking at the long view by proceding with projects like this, we already have a large investment in shelters.



Shouldn't the priority now be to ensure these people have the opportunity to get out of the shelter and on with their lives. Affordable Housing and subsidized housing are going to be the only way to clear the working poor out of the shelters, and make room for those who do not have the means.



I think the government is moving on this course, and I feel it is the right one.
For myself, I've seen enough to believe there isn't enough shelter space in Calgary. But I'm not going to pretend to have as deep an understanding of the situation as Tim, who turned me toward this story.

No comments: