Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Left-wing media in trouble



First of all, via my buddy Bill, the retired blogger from Tracking Bear604, the government has told the Georgia Straight it isn't a newspaper, and assessed the Straight fines and back taxes approaching one million dollars. Anyone who has ever been in Vancouver and thumbed a copy of the Straight knows this is absurd. It is additionally absurd that if they replaced their arts and entertainment listings with television listings, they would remain qualified as a newspaper.



Given that I've just spoken kind words for Izzy Asper, the late owner of virtually every other media outlet in the Lower Mainland, I shouldn't have to speak again about the value of having a wide variety of voices in the media marketplace. My suggestion would be that you e-mail the BC Premier and let him know that there are few actions more anti-democratic than closing a critical media outlet.



Rabble's money troubles are entirely self-inflicted, however. Not that they're particularly irresponsible or anything, just that they're an online service, and we know how profitable those always are. They're on a pledge drive, to ensure a longer-term survival. Since I get a bunch of my best stories from them, I'll be giving them some cash. You could, too, you know, just to insure that my me-too punditry continues on with the modicum of quality you've come to expect.

No comments: