Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Monday, January 12, 2004

Citizens Shame



(Note: this entry posted by Bear)



The Citizens Assembly on Electoral Reform began meetings last weekend in Vancouver.



Sorry for pouring cold water on this exercise in direct democracy, but I take exception to the future of British Columbia's electoral system being decided by 160 people picked out of the phone book.



In the riding where I live, Vancouver-Mount Pleasant, over 65% of the population isn't white, and the average income hovers just above the poverty line. Taking those major demographic factors about my community into consideration, who gets picked to represent us at the Assembly?



I don't work in my riding either, but at least my workplace is in Greater Vancouver, and I shoot any pool, on Main Street, Fraser Street, and Kingsway, not up in Whistler Village with my chamber of commerce pals.



I wonder if our representation at the Citizen's Assembly has anything to do with our current representation in the Legislature?

No comments: