Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, May 28, 2003

I mean, sure, it was accurate and fun to listen to, but...



I'm sure you have all seen articles describing the candid conversation the Prime Minister had with reporters yesterday, taking the American government to task. (Trudeau had his walk in the snow, but Chretien takes a walk to the woodshed. Easy!).



Chr�tien said his government has had a string of budget surpluses while the "right-wing" government in Washington is running up a $500-billion deficit.



Chr�tien highlighted several differences between himself and Bush.



He said Bush opposes abortion while he favours a woman's right to choose.



Bush supports capital punishment and Chr�tien does not. Chr�tien supports gun control and Bush does not.
As the title suggests, I wasn't horrified (or even mock-horrified). And he found a certain audience. But I was a little surprised about what was missing from Chr�tien's inventory of critiques:



"Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the world we mean business." (Michael Ledeen)
Seems to me the USA is one over their limit for the decade.



When I heard the PM was giving Bush what-for, I thought surely it had to be for being increasingly imperialist with each passing month. I was a little disappointed. Still, he's fifty times better than Paul Martin will be when it comes to dealing with Americans, unless I misread Paul terribly.



(Say, while you're over at BertramOnline, be sure to note this story. It'll leave your head a-shakin'. If Canadians were part of Europe (not just the EU, but physically Europe), we'd be Danes. Maybe I'll explain that some day.)

No comments: