Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

So much for Alberta sending their own team to the Olympics

I've heard tell that some new rules have made hockey more exciting this year, but haven't had cause to discover that first-hand. Really, once I heard "shoot-out", I decided I could wait for the playoffs, if then. Long time readers of this page know that even before the strike, I had thrown hockey over in favour of Canada's other national sport that's played on a near-frictionless surface, curling.

With four losses in the Olympic trials, and barring some sort of "miracle on ice", Randy Ferbey's rink, the rink that has dominated men's curling for the entire 21st century, will not be representing Canada at the Winter Olympics. Neither did they represent Canada in 2002. I can't imagine they'll still be together in 2010.

I was never a huge fan of the Ferbey rink. I always rolled my eyes at the concept of the skip throwing third stones. But here I am, an Edmontonian now, and I can't bring myself to cheer for the Eskimos or Oilers. This was a local team I could convince myself to get behind. I suppose I'll have to keep praying for that Christmas miracle.

No comments: