Welcome to the second, less frequently-posted decade of RevMod.

Contact me at revmod AT gmail.

Saturday, January 11, 2003

Adaptation



I wish I were smart, because I'd love to talk about this movie with some authority. I'm smart enough to recognize that every cheap Hollywood plot contrivance in the film was preceeded by the "serious" screenwriting lead character (Charles Kaufman) or his more commercial screenwriting brother (Donald) discussing the contrivance, and dismissing it as unworthy of Charles' adaptation. I'm smart enough to see how creatively self-referential everything was.



I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure yet if the film was clever, or too clever. But I know it made me laugh, I know that I enjoyed the trip more than I did Being John Malkovich (although Adaptation was much more conventional, in the journey), and I know I'll be seeing it again to decide just how good it was.

No comments: